Everyone needs self-care, even and especially, you, homeschool mama.
There isn’t a profession out there that doesn’t require a practice of self-care.
But as a homeschool mama, when December rolls around, mama ain’t lookin after herself, she’s looking after ALL the things.
And though ALL the things is a whole lot of things EVERY other month. December’s ALL the things is an exponential set of things.
But what about us?
We have moments of pure gratification watching our kids…
- harmoniously engage each other (sometimes)
- pursue new interests
- jump hurdles in learning and skill development
- spend time with the ones we love
- learn so much about our kids
- build lifelong memories
But there’s also a whole lot of challenge:
- there’s also a continuous stream of fledgling emotions
- there’s sibling bickering
- there’s attempted bickering with parents
- there’s complaining
- and mundane work too: can you say laundry, dishes and food prep.
We parents have our heartstrings tied to our children’s successes and failures, to their struggles and joys, to their disharmony and harmony.
Though they might have come from our womb, they are not us. Their choices are theirs. Their struggles are theirs. Their developmental stage is theirs. The unique stamp of their personhood, their unique purpose in this world, that’s theirs. We are not the main character on their stage. They are.
And so we must take care of ourselves.
Join me as I gift to you this 12 Days of Homeschool Mama Self-Care Challenge.
This is your reminder to take care of you, to nurture the nurture, to remember YOU this December.