Kelly Edwards is the creator and founder of the 90-Minute School Day, a lifestyle approach to education. The 90-Minute School Day is a deschooling method that connects children with learning in their natural environment: at home with their family.
Kelly is passionate about home education, connecting families through attachment, seeing neurodivergence as a gift, learning as a lifestyle, and helping children (and parents) identify their purpose.
Kelly is enjoying her 7th year as a homeschool mom, she believes all children are holistic beings and true health is to grow and fully integrate the emotional, mental, physical, and spiritual aspects of the individual; this is best exercised in outdoor environments and synching with natural rhythms. To this end, Kelly uses her personal research and professional experience to guide the homeschooling parent with a framework and system to overcome the overwhelm that affects each of us.
Kelly & I discuss:
- Why she wished she could have deschooled when she first began homeschooling.
- Why understanding why each of us is here on this earth gives us direction to choose our educational paths for eachof our children.
- How we wished we moved away from a school-based homeschool much earlier.
- Acknowledging that the deschooling process feels nebulous and we’re unable to hammer down an educational process.
- Learning to understand ourselves helps us engage on purpose with our kids
- Learning how to emotionally regulate so we can help our kids learn to emotionally regulate.
- Practice deschooling routinely.
Kelly encourages homeschool parents:
- You’re the resource for your child. Your role as a homeschool parent is to be the advocate.
- Sit back and get to know your child. Our tendency is to be transactional.
- You can do it. Believe in yourself. Keep your expectations small. All you need to do with your children is create relationships and a routine and read with your kids.
You can find Kelly at:
- Her website 90-Minute Day Homeschool
- Her facebook group 90-Minute Day Homeschool
- Her instagram group 90-Minute Day Homeschool
- Her Clubhouse group 90 Min
You can find resources & books we speak about here:
- Dr. Amen, author of Change your Brain, Change your Life
- Yeonmi Park, author of In Order to Live
- Her course on her website 90-Minute Day Homeschool
People also ask…
- Access the Deschool your Homeschool Journaling Workbook
- how to deschool 101: 7 lessons I’ve learned that propelled my homeschool into freedom
- What is an education anyway? You get to decide how to homeschool.
- Tell me more about your homeschool mama retreat.
- What about gaps in my child’s home education?
- I’m a new homeschooler, are you able to walk alongside me and mentor me?
Call to Adventure by Kevin MacLeod