Aimee Otto is married to her high school sweetheart, Nick, and together they homeschool their two children, ages 9 and 11.
Aimee grew up in rural Michigan, but she now makes her home in New England where she has built a life around slowing down and savoring time together as a family.
When Aimee’s not homeschooling, she loves reading, going for walks, and spending time in nature.
Aimee is blessed to lead the Homeschool Compass community where she encourages families to step off the mainstream path and embrace the freedom and flexibility of homeschooling.
Aimee Otto and I will discuss homeschool expectations and a whole bunch of juicy homeschool family topics.
We love our plans. But we have to hold them loosely because if we cling too tightly to what we think we want, we might miss out on the beauty of the day.Aimee Otto, podcaster at Homeschool Compass
Aimee Otto & I discuss:
- Allowing your kids to take from your studies/readings as they want. And let them run with it.
- Don’t let your fear or intimidation of the future affect your present moment. (Like anticipating calculus when your child is in kindergarten.)
- How does our original homeschool vision align with how they manifest presently.
- Acknowledge that who we are as parents influences how we approach our children’s home educations.
- Self-awareness strategies, like journaling, help us externalize what’s in our head.
Aimee encourages homeschool parents:
- Make self-awareness your personal growth goal.
- If you love your kids & give them autonomy, help direct them to where they want to get to and work backwards. You can provide a rich education for them, that aligns with their passions and gives them tools they need for their futures.
- Do a time audit to determine how many things/activities you can include in your day.
- You have the freedom to discern what you can decide for your homeschool family, you can incorporate your mom passions into your life, the sooner you can let go of comparisons, the sooner you tune into your own kids, the better homeschool parent you’ll be, the healthier you’ll be as a homeschool mom, and the more satisfying your homeschool experience will be.
- You as a mom get a seat at the table too. Your kids need what you have to bring to the world.
You can find Aimee at:
- Website: HomeschoolCompass.com
- Instagram: @homeschoolcompass
- Facebook: Homeschool Compass
- Sign up for the Homeschool Compass Newsletter: https://mailchi.mp/f77b4e420934/b2edfenegs
- Podcast: The Homeschool Compass Podcast
People often ask…
- Do you do one-on-one homeschooling coaching? Why, yes I do!
- Use the Build your Boundaries Journaling Workbook
- How to Deal with Unrealistic Expectations as Homeschool Mamas
- Use the Overcoming Overwhelm Journaling Workbook
- How can I join the Homeschool Mama Retreat (& what is this?)
Call to Adventure by Kevin MacLeod