Raising Critical Thinkers discusses our need to recognize the subjectivity in the way we think and the way we’re teaching our children to think.Julie Bogart, author of Raising Critical Thinkers: A Parent’s Guide to Raising Wise Kids in the Digital Age
Julie Bogart is the popular voice of common sense and compassion in the homeschool community. She home educated her five children for 17 years who are now globe-trotting adults.
Julie is also the author of the best-selling book The Brave Learner and host of the popular Brave Writer podcast. Her newest book, Raising Critical Thinkers, comes out in February 2022.
Julie’s advice for working homeschool parents…
- Work after they’re asleep when they’re little.
- Work in the mornings when teenagers are sleeping.
- Consecrate an afternoon hour when they’re using screens.
- Hire a homeschool teen to look after the kids.
- Take an evening a week to head to the library.
- Hire someone to help when you’ve been advanced.
Homeschooling requires participation from the parent. There is no home education program that I would support that would enable the child to be independent all day. The richness of education comes through conversation. They need dialogue. What they retain is what they say.Julie Bogart, author of Raising Critical Thinkers
Julie & I discuss…
- Her experience as homeschooler as a single parent.
- How we imperfectly parent our children and as we accept the process, we allow for our growth & our children’s growth.
- When our kids want to go to high school after homeschooling.
- Acknowledging that we have given our kids a weird childhood.
- How our fully homeschooled kids are especially unique: the power of who they are is under their control.
- We discuss the difference between agency & independence and how we can encourage agency in our children.
- Learning to listen to our children and empowering them to learn themselves better.
- What is an education anyways?
- You can hear our previous conversation in Season 1 here.
You can find Julie online at:
- her website, Brave Writer
- her community, Brave Learner Home
- her Facebook group, Brave Writer
- her Instagram page, Julie Brave Writer
You can pre-order her book here:
Call to Adventure by Kevin MacLeod