Julie Bogart is the popular voice of common sense and compassion in the homeschool community. She home educated her five children for 17 years who are now globe-trotting adults.
You can find her best-selling book The Brave Learner and her popular podcast Brave Writer along with her newest book, Raising Critical Thinkers, at the BraveWriter.com.
Let’s chat with Julie Bogart, author of Raising Critical Thinkers.
Raising Critical Thinkers discusses our need to recognize the subjectivity in the way we think and the way we’re teaching our children to think.Julie Bogart, author of Raising Critical Thinkers: A Parent’s Guide to Raising Wise Kids in the Digital Age
Julie Bogart’s advice for working homeschool parents…
- Work after they’re asleep when they’re little.
- But if you can, work in the mornings if you have teenagers who are sleeping.
- Consecrate an afternoon hour when they’re using screens.
- Hire a homeschool teen to look after the kids.
- Take an evening a week to head to the library.
- Hire someone to help when you’ve been advanced.
Julie & I discuss…
- Her experience as homeschooler as a single parent.
- How we imperfectly parent our children and as we accept the process, we allow for our growth & our children’s growth.
- When our kids want to go to high school after homeschooling.
- Acknowledging that we have given our kids a weird childhood.
- How our fully homeschooled kids are especially unique: the power of who they are is under their control.
- We discuss the difference between agency & independence and how we can encourage agency in our children.
- Learning to listen to our children and empowering them to learn themselves better.
- What is an education anyways?
- You can hear our previous conversation in Season 1 here.
Homeschooling requires participation from the parent. There is no home education program that I would support that would enable the child to be independent all day. The richness of education comes through conversation. They need dialogue. What they retain is what they say.Julie Bogart, author of Raising Critical Thinkers
Julie’s books are available for purchase here:
You can find Julie online at:
- Brave Writer, her website
- her community, Brave Learner Home
- Facebook group, Brave Writer
- Instagram page, Julie Brave Writer
You can hear Julie in an interview last season on my podcast, Homeschool Mama Self-Care here:
- How to Homeschool & Find Your Thing with Coach Julie Bogart
- Homeschool Advice: Advice from Julie Bogart
- Principles for Homeschool Sanity: introducing Julie Bogart
People also ask:
- Will I ever be confident homeschooling?
- Tell me about the virtual homeschool mama retreat.
- How to Show Up Better in Your Homeschool
- Do you offer one-on-one homeschool (& life) coaching?
Call to Adventure by Kevin MacLeod