I look at their interests, I look at the fact these kids are wiggly, prefer to work hands on, I look at their love languages, and whether they like working indepedently or not. I meet them where their passions are at.Julie Brow-Polanco, author, podcaster & speaker
Julie Polanco is a Master Herbalist, Aromatherapist, author, podcaster, blogger, speaker, and 19-year veteran homeschooling mom of four wiggly, sensitive kids.
Julie had to develop self-care strategies early as she learned how to mother and teach her posse of four special needs kids. She writes about what God taught her and the homeschool philosophy she adopted in her book, God Schooling: How God Intended Children to Learn. She is also the author of 100 No and Low-Cost Ways to Motivate Kids, Who is Jesus? An Advent Journey of Discovery, and two Bible studies.
Julie has also dealt with the challenges of physical self-care as she lives with fibromyalgia. Her health led her to develop a deep appreciation and passion for plants. She is also the author of the Talking with Plants botany unit study series and a one-semester high school botany course.
She wants to help others enjoy the benefits of plant medicine, so she shares her herbal and essential oil wisdom on her podcast, Crunchy Christian Podcast.
Julie & I discuss:
- Julie’s experience letting go of her original homeschool approach in favour of her kids’ needs.
- Learning to include us (and our interests) in our homeschool.
- Including a daily quiet hour so you can do your thing.
- Including time with friends once a week.
- Why Julie (& her family) chose a plant-based nutrition and lifestyle.
- Why living naturally enable us (& our families) with healthier bodies & minds.
- Why it’s important to study botany with your kids.
- We talk about grounding, foraging, and nature guidebooks.
- Why intentional unschooling helps kids with learning challenges like ADD, dyslexia, & aspergers.
- How kids with learning challenges spur us homeschool mamas to personal growth.
- Why it’s important to get your child assessed if you’re uncertain about their learning challenges.
You can find Julie Naturally at:
- Website: https://www.julienaturally.com
- Book your $5 15 minute consult today at Heal.me
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/julienaturally
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/julie.naturally
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/julienaturally
- Podcast: https://crunchychristianpodcast.com
You can find resources & books we speak about here:
- ADDitude website
- Driven to Distraction and Delivered from Distraction by Edward Hallowell and John Ratey (more relevant to teens and adults)
- Smart but Scattered by Peg Dawson and Richard Guare
- The Out of Sync Child and The Out of Sync Child Has Fun by Carol Kranowitz
- God-Schooling: How God intended Children to Learn by Julie Polanco
- 100 No & Lo-Cost Ways to Motivate Children by Julie Polanco
- Talking with Plants Unit Study by Julie Polanco
People also ask…
- How do you deschool your homeschool (a podcast interview)
- How do you handle homeschool overwhelm?
- How can I Capture the Charmed Homeschool?
- Do you do one-on-one homeschooling coaching? Why, yes I do!
- How can I join the Homeschool Mama Retreat? (& what is this?)
- How do I deschool 101: 7 lessons I’ve learned that propelled my homeschool into freedom?
Call to Adventure by Kevin MacLeod